Wednesday, November 19, 2014
The Thanksgiving holiday
is a special, memorable time of year. Typically spent with family and friends;
the holiday is usually centered around the kitchen. With the great food and
fellowship can also come danger. Annually the kitchen is the setting for more
fires than any other room in the home. Unattended food on the stove is the leading cause of house
fires each year and cooking fires nearly DOUBLE on Thanksgiving. We have provided some cooking safety tips below. The National Fire
Protection Association (NFPA) discourages the use of outdoor gas-fueled turkey
fryers that immerse the turkey in hot oil. The Underwriters Laboratory (UL)
considers turkey fryers to be dangerous to use, presenting numerous safety
hazards to consumers. Given this concern, the UL does NOT certify any turkey
fryers with their trusted UL mark. For those that still decide to use a turkey
fryer this Thanksgiving, we have also provided some turkey fryer safety tips
for reference. These tips are courtesy
of the Huntersville Fire Department; in an effort to make sure you have a safe,
enjoyable and danger free Thanksgiving holiday and as always, we'll be on duty if you should need us.
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
With the assistance of firenews.net we were able to sell E22 to the Mt Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department in Kannapolis NC; we're happy to know that she will remain close to her first home. On Tuesday we officially took E22 out of service and transferred some equipment over to the new Engine 2.
E22 served the Gilead and Huntersville communities well for close to 16yrs. Originally built by Gilead Fire and Rescue she served as the first out engine company for both Gilead and then Huntersville Fire Station 2.
Now that E22 has been sold - we have placed the new Engine 2 (2014 SMEAL) into service...new Engine 2 is 1/3 of the new Triplets (E-1, E-2, E-3). We're getting closer to the #Triplets debut in the Ville!
We still have E11 up for sale (a 1993 Quality / Spartan Engine Company) - check out FireNews.net for more details, click HERE
Click below for more pictures.
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Station 2 was
dispatched for a car accident on Hwy 73 east of Blythe Landing. Engine 2 and
Rescue 2 quickly cleared a call at the Circle K on Sam Furr Rd and responded to
the scene. E2 and R2 arrived on scene to find a 3 car head-on MVA with numerous
patients and vehicles with heavy damage and debris scattered along the roadway.
Ladder 2 was added to the call for manpower as was an additional Medic unit.
Crews worked quickly to access and package patients. One patient was
transported priority two by Medic, the remaining 4 patients, although shook up,
refused treatment by Medic.A pick-up truck and a
Nissan passenger car struck each other head on, the truck continued east where
it was struck broadside by a westbound SUV, eventually coming to rest on the
shoulder of the westbound lanes against a retention wire. Hwy 73 remained
closed for an hour for clean-up. Click below for
pictures from the scene
Saturday, November 8, 2014
Station 2 & Long
Creek Fire were dispatched for an MVA on Beatties Ford Rd at Sample Rd. A canoe
from a passing truck broke free from its tie downs and hit an Audi going in the
opposite direction; penetrating the windshield and showering the occupants with
glass, luckily no injuries to the occupants of the Audi. Our crews assisted
them with removal of glass from their hair and face, prior to clearing the scene. Click below for
pictures from the scene
Saturday, November 8, 2014
Brand new E3 (one of our three new engine companies) made its
debut at the Lake Norman Touch A Truck event. The event was held at The Palace at
Kenton Place (next to Elevation Church). The event benefitted Addi’s Cure, a
501(c) non-profit benefiting cancer research. http://www.lkntouchatruck.com/ We partnered with “Uncle Louie G’s” and passed out Fire Escape Planning Sheets for families to
complete. Every completed plan shown to 'Uncle Louie
G's Ice Cream' in Huntersville qualifies to receive a FREE ice cream! Uncle
Louie G's is located on Reese Blvd next to the new Publix. Special thanks to Uncle Louie G for stepping up to
help and to Kwik Kopy for printing our copies so fast - the ONLY copy place in
Town that helped us! Please visit both places - good locally owned and operated
businesses! #Triplets Click below for more pictures.
Monday, November 3, 2014
We want to congratulate Mecklenburg County Chief Fire Marshal
Mark Auten on his retirement after 30 years employed with the Mecklenburg
County Fire Marshal’s Office. Chief Auten has been a dedicated public servant
of our community for MANY years. He not only worked for the County Fire Marshal's Office for 30
years; but he has also served as a volunteer fire fighter for the community since he was 14 years of age. Chief Auten first joined the fire service with the Long Creek Volunteer
Fire Department. He then went on to serve at Gilead VFD before arriving here at
the Huntersville Fire Department where he currently holds the rank of Deputy
Chief. Although he’s retired from the Fire Marshals Office we are truly
thankful that Chief Auten continues to serve the community of Huntersville where we benefit daily from his many years of experience, fire service knowledge
and community dedication. Pictured is Chief Auten and his family at his
retirement ceremony held last week in Charlotte. (Pictured from L-R) son Kevin Auten, wife Amy
Auten, Chief Mark Auten and son John Auten (Kevin and John are twins, Kevin is a
Charlotte Firefighter at Charlotte Fire Station 21 and also serves as a
firefighter for Huntersville FD).
Sunday, November 2, 2014
Disposing of a 9v battery after checking the smoke detector
following the daylight savings time adjustment? Make sure you cover the terminals. If not, it could cause a
fire! According to the NFPA - metal contact with the exposed terminals of a 9v
battery could cause enough heat to start a fire. Previous structure fires have
been linked to this. It's a simple fix - leave them in their original packaging
and cover the old ones you discard or store. Thick tape is an easy fix!
Saturday, November 1, 2014
Daylight savings time ends tonight! Our clocks 'Fall Back' one hour.
When you change your clocks...CHANGE YOUR BATTERIES! Only WORKING smoke
detectors and CO Detectors save lives - please change your batteries and
test ALL detectors in your home.One-third of all non-functioning smoke detectors are the result of dead batteries...
Thursday, October 30, 2014
Early this morning, just before 3am, our
Station 2 crew (in Engine 22) moved up to Cornelius Fire Station 1 to
cover the town of Cornelius while they assisted Davidson Fire with a
working house fire out by the River Run subdivision. Unfortunately the
large home was a total loss. (Pics courtesy of Cornelius FD & DavidsonNews.net). We ALL have each other's back! #NorthTownsBrotherhood
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Huntersville Fire Department would like to wish you a HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Below
are some tips to make sure your Halloween is fun and SAFE. A safe Halloween is
a happy Halloween!
sure the costume is ‘Flame resistant’ or will not easily burn. If you are
making the costume avoid materials that easily ignite. Use flame resistant materials such as polyester and nylon.
Avoid dark colored costume material if at all possible.
child is wearing a mask, please make sure the eye holes are large enough to
provide full field of vision to prevent tripping, falling and injury.
Provide your child with a flash and/or glow light as part of
Remind your child to stay away from open fires (fire pits,
bon fires, luminaries, etc).
Review with your child what to do if their costume catches
on fire: STOP
– DROP – COVER YOUR FACE – ROLL THE FIRE OUT!
Site designed and maintained by